Saturday, July 29, 2006

My night out with the Peruvians

A fortuitous stumble into a tour agency yesterday morning which also happened to include a store selling paintings from local artists led me to a whirlwind tour of Cuzco´s clubs last night with a group of locals.

Let me explain. After talking to Diego about rafting down the Rio Urubamba, some of the artwork caught my eye so I walked over to take a closer look. An hour and a half later, I had purchased a powerful painting from a young artist from Lima named Eugenia Cunoz and made plans to go out that night with Teresa, the 25 year old girl working in the shop. It was great we even went running around in the evening shopping for clothes for the night.


Since yesterday was Independence day in Peru, there were many options, and we had aspirations to hit them all. We were crew of about 10, and I was the only tourist of the bunch. First we went to a hip restaurant with an invitation only party (I guess this is a big thing in Cuzco, you need this little business card like invite to get into the parties). Drag queens, bathtubs filled with fish topped with glass (I suppose these are the tables during dining hours), and many people dressed up in whatever they had that was a little crazy. The music: progressive house a la 2002 (not bad at all).

Next stop was Raymi, the big club in town. This next bit is not for the faint of heart - there was a suspension show. What is a suspension show you ask? Some crazy masochist puts four hooks in his back and proceeds to get suspended above the dance floor by them. The music: trance a la 2000 (not so much).
Our final destination was a total tourist trap, packed to the gills with drunken sweaty travelers. The music: anything in the top 10 over the past 10 years. By then it was well past 4am and I was done for the night.

One thing I do miss from home: the fact you cannot smoke in bars and clubs. Yuck.

No comments: