Sunday, July 23, 2006

Lima, Day One

Yesterday I visited the National Museum and learned about the peoples of Peru from the first hunters and gathers in 20,000 BC to the Incas (they only lasted a century) to Pizarro to modern times (which I understand up to the minute thanks to the three copies of the Economist I am carrying). To be honest the museum was bit of a disappointment, but I read about the history over a nice lunch in the park beforehand, so I was able to better appreciate what I was seeing.

From there I headed to the heart of Central Lima, Plaza de Armas. It was great, filled with people playing with pigeons (sound familiar?). I went into the cathedral to see where Pizarro rests, but the real highlight of the day was just wondering around, which I did for the proceeding two hours. I stumbled upon all kinds of great things - a festival for some sort of local liquor, kids running around the parks, massive shopping street crammed with locals, views of the barrios on the surrounding hills, and kids skateboarding in the streets. I found myself in the Parque de la Cultura, and followed my ears and my nose to a great live band. I could not remove the smile from my face as I watched the locals start to dance, first an elderly couple, then a group of young people, then entire families of three generations. It was really awesome, I took a video.

I wanted to grab dinner in Barranco, and area of town filled with artists which is supposed to have a lot going on at night. I jumped in a cab started talking to the driver. He was showing me all the sites as we drove around and I was telling him about my trip (all in Spanish thank you!) He was just finishing up his shift, so he offered to be my guide around Barranco. So I spent the next couple hours with Cesar, wandering the streets, learning about his family and life in Lima. We had a GREAT dinner (I am obsessed with lomo saltado, the national dish. I know there are a lot of other great things to try but am having trouble passing this one up and last nights was the best I have ever had). Peruvian food is awesome. After dinner he drove me back to my hotel and I dove into "Development as Freedom", by Amyarta Sen. It is a bit slow going, but I think it is really going to alter my thinking.

And so ended day one in Peru.

No comments: