Sunday, July 23, 2006

Delirious and freezing in Puno

And loving it, do not get me wrong!

I hope my two preceeding blogs are sufficiently coherent, because to be honest, I am really delirious right now. I had hoped to go to Arequipa before Puno to help adjust to the altitude, but there was just no time, or rather, I did not want to tire myself out running around too much.

Honestly, walking down the streets wears me out. What stark contrast to the awesome hour long run I did this morning along the cliffs overlooking the ocean in Lima. I knew I would have to take it easy, and I am, I just have never felt this before.

The other effect of the altitude is the cold. It is really really cold. Like, ski clothes cold. The air is so amazingly fresh and crisp though! I got off the plane and was just....happy. It was about a half hour drive to Puno from the airport, past people living in adobe huts tending to their farms, wearing extremely colorful traditional dress.

I will spend the next two nights on tiny islands on the lake, staying with families. Tuesday should be really special as it is a holiday. It is going to be awesome, but there is sparse electricity, let alone Internet.

More from Puno on Weds night when I return.

No comments: