
Cesar is a cab driver in Lima, and my tour guide last night. He works six days a week and supports his brother, who is still in school. After the 50 soles a day he pays to rent the cab and the cost of gas, on a really good day he returns home with 30 soles (less than $10). On a bad day, it is more like 10 soles. So if he averages about 20 soles a day, six days a week, he makes about 500 soles a month. He pays 350 soles a month for his apartment. Remember, he supports his brother. It is very hard to imagine working so hard and having so little.
I am sort of astonished at how much wealth I have compared to him. As much as I read about developing economies in newspapers, magazines, and books - nothing matches meeting someone firsthand who lives the reality you read about.

No comments:
Post a Comment