Wednesday, July 26, 2006

La Isla Taquile - an unforgettable 26 hours


I honestly do not know where to begin. My trip to Taquile, an island in the middle of Lake Titicaca with 2000 inhabitants, was just unreal. I am very quickly running out of time at this point because I have to meet some people for dinner in 20 mins, so I will just give you the highlights:

- Staying in a tiny adobe room with a family, eating three meals served by them - all costing me about $15. See pic of my room below. Okay the meals left much to be desired - no more rice and french fries thank you! Miguel was our guide the entire time, showing us (me and four others who stayed with the family) the island.



- St. James day was yesterday, there was a big fiesta in the center of the pueblo. Everyone came out in traditional dress and played music and danced in the town square. The women pile on their skirts for special occasions such as these, up to 30 of them for some occasions. I just love the third picture of the little ones watching the festivities.






- Seeing more stars than I have ever seen in my life! I literally gasped when I saw them. The combination of absolutely no light from any city and the altitude just...wow. I never knew that was what it is to see the Milky Way. I took a picture of myself to capture the moment.

- Heading to the beach today (supposedly a medicinal one) and putting my feet in the quite cold water. Something about being on a relatively deserted beach on an island in the middle of a lake looking out to the mountains of Bolivia.....could I get farther from home?

No comments: