Back when I was consulting, when things would get really bad, I mean those 16 hour days 7 days a week severely sleep deprived times, I would turn to Mtn. Dew. Over time that flourscent effervescence came to symbolize the limits my exhaustion level. You'd know things were bad when I started drinking the stuff.
Enter international business travel with an overly ambitous agenda. Turns out that was not the limit at all; just add jet lag, requisite composure in all day meetings, and navigating an unfamiliar city. Now you've got a whole new level of exhaustion. To be frank, today may well have been the most exhausting day of my career.
I was back in that place I discovered in the world tour. The lack of sleep looming deep behind my eyes, I'd kill to chill out in my hotel alone but that's hours away, I fight to stay alert in meetings, and casual conversation is painful. Your only weapon is coffee, but eventually you get to the point where even caffine has no effect (other than prevent eventual sleep).
Which is what happened last night, which is why today is unusually brutal. Not only did it start at 2am when we left the hotel in Cairo, but I was unable to sleep in the short two hour window between returning to the hotel and checking out. The only sleep I had was what I got on the short plane rides. In the end it amounted to nonstop action from the moment we arrived this morning until 11pm - 7 meetings total including lunch and dinner.
Fortunately I'm in the clear now - we will be very busy the next couple days but it's very manageable. I will be sure to schedule in more down time (and sleep time) moving forward.
Navruz Mubarak!
13 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment