Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Scott Fellows Program

I’ve been meaning to post about this for a while. There is a very exciting program here called the Scott Fellowship that funds recent graduates to work as advisors and assistances to the ministers in the Liberian government. It serves to both enable the ministers to scale and build capacity below them (though the critique of the program is it doesn’t do enough of the latter, which is critical for the long term impact of the program).

It’s a remarkable opportunity to work at a high level in government in a country where you really feel like you can make a difference, whose history calls you to want to make a difference. But you’re all well familiar with that story by now. Suffice to say purely from a development career standpoint, I can’t think of many more compelling opportunities for a recent graduate of a development master’s program. And yes it’s true, when I think about what I would want do after graduation independent of all of the other facets of my life that would persuade me otherwise, the Scott Fellowship would definitely be on the short list.

No comments: