Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A City in (Partial) Ruins

I've neglected to post about the quotidian things, but as the end of my time in Monrovia appears on the horizon, I realize I've been remiss.

Monrovia is a city partially in ruins, and not the ruins you're thinking of. There aren't piles of rubble from once bombed out buildings (the fighting in the war here was with guns, not bombs anyway). I remember one day driving around looking for bullet holes in the walls, but I was never sure if the ones I thought I identified were real or imagined. No matter.

It's not rubble, but rather that Monrovia is filled with long abandoned buildings - you rarely pass by a block without seeing one. And they are ruins in the ancient sense of ruins, some buildings fully overcome by vegetation, others just beginning to sprout green from the rooftops. Some of them are grandiose shells of government buildings to be that were abandoned before they were completed. Others nothing more than four cement brick walls.

They are everywhere. I'll get out with my camera before I leave and capture some of them.

No comments: