On the way to lunch today we picked up Ben Spatz, a Scott Fellow with the Ministry of Internal Affairs. Shortly after he got into the car, the phone rang. The half of the ensuing conversation we heard had me on the floor laughing:
“This is Ben Spatz.
UNDP Geneva, how are you?
Yes of course I remember your name from the emails. How can I help you?
The telephone numbers I sent you are the correct ones. Yes, they are mobile phones. All of the phone numbers I gave you are mobile phones, including this one. Liberia has no landline telephones.
Yes, I gave you the mobile phone numbers of the Ministers and Country officials. That is the only way you can reach them. Sometimes people’s phones are off, when they are in meetings, or if they are in the countries reception is very spotty.
No you cannot send them emails. There is no Internet service in rural Liberia.
No, you cannot send them mail. There is no postal service in rural Liberia either.
Yes, you can send something to the Ministry of Internal Affairs. Would you like the address?
Sure, it’s Ministry of Internal Affairs, Monrovia Liberia.
Great, thanks. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.”
“This is Ben Spatz.
UNDP Geneva, how are you?
Yes of course I remember your name from the emails. How can I help you?
The telephone numbers I sent you are the correct ones. Yes, they are mobile phones. All of the phone numbers I gave you are mobile phones, including this one. Liberia has no landline telephones.
Yes, I gave you the mobile phone numbers of the Ministers and Country officials. That is the only way you can reach them. Sometimes people’s phones are off, when they are in meetings, or if they are in the countries reception is very spotty.
No you cannot send them emails. There is no Internet service in rural Liberia.
No, you cannot send them mail. There is no postal service in rural Liberia either.
Yes, you can send something to the Ministry of Internal Affairs. Would you like the address?
Sure, it’s Ministry of Internal Affairs, Monrovia Liberia.
Great, thanks. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.”

No comments:
Post a Comment