I had a thought on the train, that before I'd even arrived, I already wanted to come back. Not so sure about that anymore. As it was already 5:15 and registration at the shala was from 4:30 to 6:00 I went straight there. Entering, there was a small open room with a bench, the practice room to my right, and double doors ahead that revealed a stairwell and an office. One big sign reading "No Entry" adorned the double doors, and another reading "No photos or video of the shala" next to the practice room. Okay. So I sat there. Waiting.
Someone finally walked in the front door and I said "register?" he pointed to the office room behind the door with the "No Entry" sign. Thinking it was ok, I walked in. There was one Indian man and others in the room. It was Sharath, Guruji's grandson, who teaches the classes.
"Hello, I'm here for registration," I said with a sheepish smile.
"Did you send in your registration?" Sharath asked. It appeared to be quite strict on the site, you needed to send in your registration two months in advance. You didn't hear back from them unless there was a problem. I'd spent $50 sending mine via FedEx to ensure it arrived in the two month window.
"Yes," I replied.
"We are in a meeting, you cannot come back here, wait outside," he said, seemingly angrily. Horrified, I attempted to explain that someone had told me I could come in. It didn't matter, he clearly just wanted me to leave.
Fifteen minutes later he came back with another form to complete. "27,530 rupees," was more or less all he said. It was more than I'd spent yet my entire trip in India, almost $700 for a month of yoga. As much as I'd spend for 6 months of yoga back home.
I felt like it was all that mattered to him. We'll see if I'm right.

Someone finally walked in the front door and I said "register?" he pointed to the office room behind the door with the "No Entry" sign. Thinking it was ok, I walked in. There was one Indian man and others in the room. It was Sharath, Guruji's grandson, who teaches the classes.
"Hello, I'm here for registration," I said with a sheepish smile.
"Did you send in your registration?" Sharath asked. It appeared to be quite strict on the site, you needed to send in your registration two months in advance. You didn't hear back from them unless there was a problem. I'd spent $50 sending mine via FedEx to ensure it arrived in the two month window.
"Yes," I replied.
"We are in a meeting, you cannot come back here, wait outside," he said, seemingly angrily. Horrified, I attempted to explain that someone had told me I could come in. It didn't matter, he clearly just wanted me to leave.
Fifteen minutes later he came back with another form to complete. "27,530 rupees," was more or less all he said. It was more than I'd spent yet my entire trip in India, almost $700 for a month of yoga. As much as I'd spend for 6 months of yoga back home.
I felt like it was all that mattered to him. We'll see if I'm right.

No comments:
Post a Comment