This morning was my first practice at Ashtanga Yoga Research Institute (AYRI), the home of the yoga that has impacted me so much over the past year. I arrived at 6:30. The late shift. The first class begins at 4:45. It went well, as well as I could have possibly hoped. A little background is in order to fully understand what happened.
The traditional method of teaching Ashtanga is known around the world as Mysore, after the city where it was founded. Unlike most yoga classes where the teacher leads you through a practice, with mysore each student comes and does his own practice with the teacher coming around and correcting or assisting you when you need help. On your first day of class, you will learn two sun salutations and a few of the standing poses that begin the primary series. This is the start of your practice. When you return the next day, you repeat the sequence from memory, moving between poses with each inhale and exhale and holding each pose for five breaths. Gradually your teacher will add poses to your practice as you advance. When to give you the next pose is at the discretion of your teacher, based on your physical ability, your commitment, your ability to focus your mind, and his or her philosophy. If your teacher is by the book traditional, there are clear markers you need to achieve before learning the next pose, such as reaching around your body in certain poses and binding your hands together.
There are six series in Ashtanga yoga. They say it takes the typical student two years to master a series. I've never seen anyone in any class go beyond the third series. Sharath, Guruji's grandson is the only person to have mastered the fifth series and he is now learning the six. He has been practicing for thirty years, since he was 7. Due to and a liberal teacher and a combination of strength and flexibility from years of exercise, I learned the primary series and half way through the second series in nine months.
Regardless of how long you've been practicing or what you practice at home, when you come to AYRI, you start with primary series. On your first day, Sharath (who does the teaching now that Guruji is 93) may stop you at a pose in the series. That is where your practice in Mysore will remain until he gives you the next pose. If he does not stop you, you finish the primary series. You do not move on to second series until he gives you the pashashana, its first pose. At Mysore, whatever you practice beyond primary has been given to you here, it doesn't matter what you've been taught at home.
Traditionally, you do not begin learning second series until you can drop back from standing to a back bend and stand back up, touching your hands momentarily on the ground behind you. My teachers back home are not as strict about this and so I've learned second series without the ability to drop back. Drop backs are hard, especially if you are strict about doing them right. Everyone works on them every day with their teacher at the end of practice. Before I left Chad, my teacher, was working with me to help me stand up for Mysore. I stood up once back home, with the help of a couple blocks under my hands for a little boost. I didn't even try to drop back.
Three weeks ago in Kerala during a morning practice, I decided to go for it. Miraculously, I stood up. Then I dropped back. Then I did it again, and again. I only practiced a few times while I was traveling before I got here, but each time I worked on my drop backs and almost every time I was able to do them.
Sharath did not stop me as I did my practice in primary series, which I'd more or less expected since I could do all the binds. I knew there was little chance I'd learn any of second series while I was here, since my time was so short. He usually makes you wait. But I knew if there was any hope, I'd need to drop back. And so I did. Three times I dropped back and stood up, then Sharath came to assist me. When I got down he had me walk my hands towards my heels farther than they'd ever gone, but it was fine. Good, he said, as he leaned his weight on me in Paschimottanasana, the seated forward bend that follows back bends.
Good job indeed!
The traditional method of teaching Ashtanga is known around the world as Mysore, after the city where it was founded. Unlike most yoga classes where the teacher leads you through a practice, with mysore each student comes and does his own practice with the teacher coming around and correcting or assisting you when you need help. On your first day of class, you will learn two sun salutations and a few of the standing poses that begin the primary series. This is the start of your practice. When you return the next day, you repeat the sequence from memory, moving between poses with each inhale and exhale and holding each pose for five breaths. Gradually your teacher will add poses to your practice as you advance. When to give you the next pose is at the discretion of your teacher, based on your physical ability, your commitment, your ability to focus your mind, and his or her philosophy. If your teacher is by the book traditional, there are clear markers you need to achieve before learning the next pose, such as reaching around your body in certain poses and binding your hands together.
There are six series in Ashtanga yoga. They say it takes the typical student two years to master a series. I've never seen anyone in any class go beyond the third series. Sharath, Guruji's grandson is the only person to have mastered the fifth series and he is now learning the six. He has been practicing for thirty years, since he was 7. Due to and a liberal teacher and a combination of strength and flexibility from years of exercise, I learned the primary series and half way through the second series in nine months.
Regardless of how long you've been practicing or what you practice at home, when you come to AYRI, you start with primary series. On your first day, Sharath (who does the teaching now that Guruji is 93) may stop you at a pose in the series. That is where your practice in Mysore will remain until he gives you the next pose. If he does not stop you, you finish the primary series. You do not move on to second series until he gives you the pashashana, its first pose. At Mysore, whatever you practice beyond primary has been given to you here, it doesn't matter what you've been taught at home.
Traditionally, you do not begin learning second series until you can drop back from standing to a back bend and stand back up, touching your hands momentarily on the ground behind you. My teachers back home are not as strict about this and so I've learned second series without the ability to drop back. Drop backs are hard, especially if you are strict about doing them right. Everyone works on them every day with their teacher at the end of practice. Before I left Chad, my teacher, was working with me to help me stand up for Mysore. I stood up once back home, with the help of a couple blocks under my hands for a little boost. I didn't even try to drop back.
Three weeks ago in Kerala during a morning practice, I decided to go for it. Miraculously, I stood up. Then I dropped back. Then I did it again, and again. I only practiced a few times while I was traveling before I got here, but each time I worked on my drop backs and almost every time I was able to do them.
Sharath did not stop me as I did my practice in primary series, which I'd more or less expected since I could do all the binds. I knew there was little chance I'd learn any of second series while I was here, since my time was so short. He usually makes you wait. But I knew if there was any hope, I'd need to drop back. And so I did. Three times I dropped back and stood up, then Sharath came to assist me. When I got down he had me walk my hands towards my heels farther than they'd ever gone, but it was fine. Good, he said, as he leaned his weight on me in Paschimottanasana, the seated forward bend that follows back bends.
Good job indeed!

No comments:
Post a Comment