If you would like to become an Ashtanga teacher (other classes may call themselves Ashtanga but there is really only one method, taught as I described in my recent blog) there is only one way to do it. You've got to come to Mysore. Repeatedly.
There are two categories of teachers, "authorized" and "certified." There is no teacher training, and authorizations and certifications are not requested, but given. Authorized teachers are generally permitted to teach only the Primary Series and have made at least four trips to Mysore lasting 3 or more months. Through repeated practice every morning in the same classes I am in, they must demonstrate appropriate attitude, devotion to the practice, and proficiency in the Primary Series (and usually at least half of the Second Series) as determined by Guruji and Sharath. Certified teachers have completed and demonstrate proficiency in at least the first three series. Generally they have made 8 or more annual trips to AYRI Mysore and have at least 8-10 years of daily Ashtanga Yoga practice.
Needless to say, this place is teeming with teachers from all around the globe. Today I met Scott, who teaches at the one other studio in Boston. Many people know my teachers back home very well. Because of this history, it's not just aspiring teachers but also students like me wishing to deepen their practice and connection to the source who come to AYRI on a regular basis. I can't tell you how many people I've met who are living here for six months or more, or have come three, five, ten, fifteen times. It is truly a global community, with it's heart based here in Mysore, at the home of Pattabhi Jois.
Being here for just a month feels like a crime, but I've been assured I'm not the first person to feel that way. I just might have to come back again, soon.
There are two categories of teachers, "authorized" and "certified." There is no teacher training, and authorizations and certifications are not requested, but given. Authorized teachers are generally permitted to teach only the Primary Series and have made at least four trips to Mysore lasting 3 or more months. Through repeated practice every morning in the same classes I am in, they must demonstrate appropriate attitude, devotion to the practice, and proficiency in the Primary Series (and usually at least half of the Second Series) as determined by Guruji and Sharath. Certified teachers have completed and demonstrate proficiency in at least the first three series. Generally they have made 8 or more annual trips to AYRI Mysore and have at least 8-10 years of daily Ashtanga Yoga practice.
Needless to say, this place is teeming with teachers from all around the globe. Today I met Scott, who teaches at the one other studio in Boston. Many people know my teachers back home very well. Because of this history, it's not just aspiring teachers but also students like me wishing to deepen their practice and connection to the source who come to AYRI on a regular basis. I can't tell you how many people I've met who are living here for six months or more, or have come three, five, ten, fifteen times. It is truly a global community, with it's heart based here in Mysore, at the home of Pattabhi Jois.
Being here for just a month feels like a crime, but I've been assured I'm not the first person to feel that way. I just might have to come back again, soon.

No comments:
Post a Comment