As my short time in Mysore comes to an end, I can't help but feel my departure is premature. It's only in the past few days I feel I've settled into a routine and established my social circles. People blink back in disbelief that I'm leaving already, "You just got here!" they say.
And I just did. Ultimately I agree that to really take advantage of practicing in Mysore, you have to stick around awhile. I feel very lucky to have the breakthrough that I did, but the real transformation in one's practice comes with time and well, practice.
There is simply no other place on the planet where you can do so with such intensity and focus and I can only imagine what happens when one does for a sustained period of time. Already I am coming home much stronger than I'd left, doing things I could never do before, and it's only been three weeks. Ideally you're here several months.
I also recognize how overwhelming it is to consistently practice with such intensity. The time we spend in the morning in the shala is often brings up unexpected emotions and takes us to foreign places inside our minds. No wonder some of the people who have been here awhile have started to get a little batty.
The greatest gift however, is the global community that arises from the model of teaching Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga. Ashtanga teachers from around the world practice in Mysore on a regular basis, many come back every year. In essence, they become a family, with its heart and soul here in Mysore at the shala.
And that, I cannot deny, is a beautiful thing, and one I feel quite fortunate to call myself a part of.
And I just did. Ultimately I agree that to really take advantage of practicing in Mysore, you have to stick around awhile. I feel very lucky to have the breakthrough that I did, but the real transformation in one's practice comes with time and well, practice.
There is simply no other place on the planet where you can do so with such intensity and focus and I can only imagine what happens when one does for a sustained period of time. Already I am coming home much stronger than I'd left, doing things I could never do before, and it's only been three weeks. Ideally you're here several months.
I also recognize how overwhelming it is to consistently practice with such intensity. The time we spend in the morning in the shala is often brings up unexpected emotions and takes us to foreign places inside our minds. No wonder some of the people who have been here awhile have started to get a little batty.
The greatest gift however, is the global community that arises from the model of teaching Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga. Ashtanga teachers from around the world practice in Mysore on a regular basis, many come back every year. In essence, they become a family, with its heart and soul here in Mysore at the shala.
And that, I cannot deny, is a beautiful thing, and one I feel quite fortunate to call myself a part of.

No comments:
Post a Comment