Thursday, August 06, 2009

Of course...

Just when things are about to come to an end, things start getting good. Or maybe it's just that after reaching a point of total intolerance for it all, I've boomeranged to not letting anything phase me.

I'm starting to feel comfortable here. Little bits of Liberian English are starting to roll off my tongue with ease. I don't worry walking down the street. I think there's just a confidence that underlies all of my interactions with the average Liberian that wasn't there before.

The biggest thing is probably that I'm really hitting my stride on the professional front. After meeting with the who's who in the ICT space in the country (as well as many working in ICT4D in general), I've got a pretty awesome network. But then again, this is just the beginning of an exciting new career. And it's not even the end of my work here actually. Minister Davis' isn't letting go of me that easily.

And of course, there are all the awesome people I've met who are here not just for the summer., but will remain long after I've gone. More than anything, it's them that I'll miss. As I spend my remaining hours with that short list of people who I may never see again, I almost, just almost, wish I had a little bit more time to be here in Liberia with them.

Dan, Ben, Andrew, John, Elie, Nate, Heidi, Myles, I'll miss you guys! (The rest of the people who made this summer so amazing are all headed back home so somehow they don't count ;).

No comments: