Saturday, August 08, 2009

Liberian Summer Soundtrack

My brief posting on that one Nigerian hip hop song I've heard a zillion times this summer didn't do the musical redundancy of the last nine weeks one iota of justice.

It's not just that I hear the same handful of songs EVERYWHERE I go. Oh no. It's not even just that I often hear the same song three, four, five songs in one night at a restaurant or bar. I even sometimes here some of these gems played ON REPEAT.

The real evil ones are the catchiest. You might hate me for this, but here are the five in particular that pretty much defined my aural experience this summer (along, of course, the hum of the generator).

"Out of This Club" The Pussycat Dolls


"Fall in Love" D'Banj


"I'm Sorry" Akon (they apparently LOVE Akon here)


"Emergency Room" Rihanna (featuring Akon, shocker)


The fifth would be a Congolese jam that Lamin always played in his car, unfortunately that one's not going to be found on YouTube... you better believe we jammed to it on my way to the airport!

1 comment:

Sloane said...

I spent the summer in the Philippines and they also LOVED Akon there. And Lady Gaga. It played EVERYWHERE!

Loving looking through both of your blogs. Sent you a message about the Forbes list and sending you a gift in the mail, hoping to stay in touch!

@sloane