Andrew’s another intern here and without doubt one of my closest friends this summer. He’s headed to Yale’s business school next year and has been working for a small microfinance organization called Foundation for Women in Liberia. They organized a going away dinner for him last night and invited a few of Andrew’s friends. I was expecting a small dinner at a colleague’s house. Little did I know what I was in for. I thought I loved Andrew but they must really love him, because they sent him off last night with some serious fanfare. I arrived before Andrew, and was immediately taken by the group of drummers and dancers in traditional costumes. Then I realized I had a program for the evening’s festivities sitting in my hand. I was led to two rooms full of probably ten tables set up for the event, with pictures of Andrew at work over the summer posted on the walls.
Suddenly everyone rushed to the gate for Andrew’s arrival, which was met with beating drums, dancing women, and rice throwing children. The evening started out with a serious treat: about a 45-minute performance of traditional dances from all over the country.


We then had a big Liberian feast: cassava leaf, jolof rice, chicken, ribs, and my favorite, baked plantains. Following dinner was about an hour of speeches in Andrew’s honor, from the women who benefit from the Foundation’s loans to the CEO to the board member who had hosted Andrew at her house this summer.
Then came the presentation of the gifts. Or more aptly the showering of gifts. Shirts, carvings, necklaces, wall hangings, photographs, paintings, traditional clothing… It was overwhelming.

I was amazed. Andrew came for two months, and this is the love and generosity these Liberian women displayed for him.
No comments:
Post a Comment