Saturday, June 13, 2009

Rain

Next to Freetown in Sierra Leone, Monrovia the rainiest capital city in the world. It rains a full 4.5m a year. That stat meant nothing to me when I first read it, but now that I’m here it has new meaning. It pours. Whereas in other tropical places the downpour lasts a half hour or so, here it goes on for days. The streets turn to massive puddles or rivers, depending on the slope.

I’m having a hard time imagining what it’s like for Liberians to live in this. The lucky ones live in small concrete houses with proper roofs. Most have tin roofs that must leak horribly. Many have walls made of woven palm fronds. I heard a story yesterday about homes that were destroyed by the rain. And this rain continues, from April until October.

Needless to day, when it rains it pours has taken on a new meaning.

No comments: