Monday, June 08, 2009

Food's an issue. Already.

I wasn't particularly happy eating Indian food all last summer. It's not that I don't like Indian food. I do. I'd just ideally only eat it once a month or so, it's so heavy. So I wasn't very thrilled about eating in Africa this summer, because I was sure that the food would generally be heavy too. Not to mention you can't eat fresh vegetables in developing countries for fear of getting sick.

But ultimately last eating last summer in India wasn't that bad, though it was heavy I really liked it. There are a lot of Indians who are vegetarians, so I ate a lot of vegetables and dahl. And I discovered that I really like chapati and puri.

Here in Senegal, people don't understand why anyone with money would eat vegetables when you can afford meat. So every meal so far has been meat and rice. Some of them have been super tasty, but I went vegan for awhile last year. Though I've since returned to eating meat, I can only handle picking it off the bone so many times a week. And I can't handle the smell of bone marrow and innards. Not to mention I've always felt like rice was a waste of space in my stomach.

So the past few days, I just can't eat. I get as much as I need to down to not be starving and that's about it. And this is Senegal. A bit concerned about what awaits in Liberia.

No comments: