Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Confusion in Accra

My transfer in Accra today was two hours longer than it should have been. Almost immediately after getting off the first flight from Dakar, utter confusion set in. I was sent through customs, which didn’t make sense to anyone but there was no other way to get to the terminals. Then I was told to follow someone, who was collecting the few of us headed to Monrovia from the original flight. She was on the phone and clearly distressed.

“Why did you get off that plane? You should have stayed on, it’s going to Monrovia.”

That made no sense. Not only did they say to stay on the original plane if you were continuing on to Lagos, but they checked each of our boarding cards when we got off to make sure we weren’t doing so wrongly (which I thought was really annoying, especially after the checked it three times when we boarded). She rushed us out of the airport and around back to where you check in. Our flight was scheduled to leave in a half hour. I was a bit concerned. Missing it could mean being stuck in Accra for a week.

We got to the check in counter and they asked me where my bags were. I didn’t realize it, but the other four people with me had all taken their bags from the baggage claim when we got off. I assumed mine would be checked through to Monrovia.

“Why didn’t you take your bags down??!!”

Awesome. I’m thinking even if I make it to Monrovia, my bags probably won’t. Which would mean I’d have no clothes for a week. But then they looked at my baggage claim checks and said I’d be fine since they were checked through to Monrovia. Which made little sense given everyone else’s were there.

I rushed to the gate. Turns out the flight was delayed. Two and a half hours. Needless to say, I did a little jump for joy when my bags came across the belt in Monrovia.

No comments: