But there often is. There is at least one Ashtanga teacher in most cities around the world. Because becoming an Ashtanga teacher requires spending a lot of time practicing in Mysore under Guruji and his family, Ashtanga teachers truly are a global community. I can usually just ask my teachers in San Francisco who I should practice with in any city. So far I've only visited studios in Singapore, New York, and Sydney. Each time I've gotten exposure to some pretty experienced teachers who in just a few days have an impact on my practice.
Here in Sydney I've been going to a studio called YogaMoves every day I can. The teacher there, Eileen Hall, has been practicing yoga for over 25 years and she is really fantastic. Her students are incredibly friendly and welcoming too. I feel very fortunate to have spent the past week and a half practicing in her tiny little studio in Bondi Junction. It has indeed been one of the highlights of my trip. Here is a picture of Eileen and Guruji himself.

Of course, the ultimate yoga studio to visit is the original one in Mysore, India. There you are taught mostly by Guruji's grandson, Sharath. Guruji makes some appearances but at 93, he no longer actively teaches. That remains the true source, and I struggle to find a reason not to go this summer. Guruji is 93. There many not be many opportunities left.

3 comments:
Post a Comment