Thursday, March 20, 2008

The end of an era

I received some big news the other day. I've been accepted to the single graduate program I applied to - the MPA/ID at the Kennedy School at Harvard. I couldn't be more relieved and excited, but at the same time I am a little sad and nostalgic that the incredible life I've been leading the past few years is coming to a close.

I started this blog on my first trip out of the country for Google - to the Czech Republic. In the approximately two years since, I've been to over twenty countries around the world, just for work. My experiences have been surreal, my memories indelible, and they are all captured here. I have had SO MANY pinch me moments, when I sat back in disbelief that my work had brought me where I was. From exploring Iceland's amazing landscapes with Kannan and Jonathan to the hellish 40+ hour trip from India to Brazil to Jonathan and I atop a camel at the pyramids to riding a helicopter over Sao Paulo to spending my birthday on a rooftop in Mumbai to too many trips to Beijing to count to Carnaval earlier this month to the chili crab in Singapore to the SKT visit in Korea to that horrific 14 hour day in Turkey after flying from Egypt at 2am and getting no sleep .... it goes on and on.

I had another one of those moments today on the harbor in Sydney. Kate, our first employee in Australia and Head of Sales, and her husband Justin invited a few of us to spend the afternoon out on their boat on the harbor. It was an amazingly warm day, and their boat was... incredible. Probably a 30 foot long boat with a huge deck out front and a big table out back. We rode around the harbor, under the bridge and past the opera house, ultimately to a quiet and secluded little inlet where we just dropped the anchor and soaked up the sun for a few hours. And there I was, sitting on a boat looking back and the Syndey skyline, pinching myself once again.


And I knew this would be one of the last of such moments of my time at Google. You better believe I cherished every second of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.