Maybe I need to lighten up a bit. Or maybe it's just been ten years since I discovered a new, modern city - one that encompassed the things I look for in any place I'd want to actually live in for any extended period of time.
Let me tell you, it only took me a few hours to appreciate Sydney. First and foremost, the weather alone will keep a smile on your face. It's been sunny and 75-80 degrees every day I've been here. And it is indeed a gorgeous city. Beach upon beach upon beach on to the east, seemingly endless harbors to the west, water is indeed a big part of this place. But there is real charm in the narrow streets, the rush of the business district, the calm of the well taken advantage of city parks, the narrow and winding streets, the brick buildings with little balconies. There are no shortage of great restaurants and the shopping would be problematic for me if I lived here it's so good. And like San Francisco, it's a city that's easy to get out of; jump on a boat and head to a quiet harbor and it feels miles away from a big city.


In short, and this is perhaps the compliment of all compliments, I could see myself living here. The only problem is, it's so far from anywhere else...

No comments:
Post a Comment