Wednesday, April 26, 2006

World Tour Day 4 – Mumbai, India

Holy shit. Some things just need to be seen to be fully perceived. Welcome to India. I’ve only gone from the airport to the hotel, and what a ride it was.

I knew traffic was a free for all. There is no right of way, there are no lanes, there is no etiquette that I could decipher. It’s literally a total cluster fuck as each driver fends for himself, the only way progress to honk as you thrust yourself out forcing oncoming traffic to yield. There’s one memory that will definitely stick - basically, we saw a car jaydrive (if that can be interpreted as a word) across the street in the middle of a five car width (no lanes remember) expressway. That is nothing, we are still in suburbia. Tomorrow we venture to the heart of Mumbai.

Then there is the poverty. It was midnight, and people were everywhere. Sleeping. On the side of the road. Everywhere. Shacks. Everywhere. Everywhere.

Ah yes and there is that elephant, no idea what it was doing, just standing there in an open lot on the side of the road.

This is why I chose India. There is nothing like the shock of a culture so far from your own you have to see it to believe it. It really puts you in your place.

No comments: