India is an assault on your senses. The concentrated colors and hordes of people, nonstop sounds of people yelling and horns honking, the lingering smell of spice. But for all the indelible images and aural memories I am left with, it's my sense of smell that's been most affronted during my few days here. Apologies in advance because this one's going to be an unpleasant read.
I'd have to guess that body odor stands out as number one. Could I venture to say I am nearly used to it by now? Any walk down the street however, and it's urine, raw sewage, rotting trash, and myriad other unknown abominations your nose is confronted with. There is the pleasant, of course; incense naturally, and also cumin, cardamom, coriander, saffron, turmeric, tamarind and I'm sure a long list of other spices I have never heard of, but those seems to be momentary respites from the smell of the filth.
Sorry I know that is a really disgusting thing to imagine, but it's such a part of the experience I had to share.
Navruz Mubarak!
13 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment