Saturday, May 31, 2008

Sri Lanka: Unawatuna

I am pitifully behind, two very eventful weeks to be exact. I will do my best to erase all but ten of the last fourteen days to recall the farthest place I have ever been from home, a little beach on the Southern coast of Sri Lanka called Unawatuna.

While it is a fine destination to kick back for a few days indeed: laid back atmosphere, beautiful beach, relaxed restaurants with great food and even a Dahab style pavillion where we wasted away an afternoon, what remains most prominent in my memories of Unawatuna is not where I was, but who I was with.

I met most of the crew while they were painting what would hours later be the largest single piece of art in the country: a 200ft long mural of an underwater scene conceived by Timmy, one of Chandra's friends, and executed by local children, friends, and anyone else who happened to walk past that day. It is a sweet and wonderful thing that Timmy did and I was thrilled to witness it.

We spent our days in Unawatuna and some of our evenings in Hikaduwa, its rowdier neighboor to the north. In those few days of drinking, dancing, story telling, and laughing like mad people, I bonded with some of the coolest people I've met in a long, long time.

No comments: