Tuesday, March 27, 2007

OLB part one - Bangkok

I am underwhelmed with Bangkok and left wondering if I should be trying harder. Pollution here is nothing compared to Beijing, but there is something seemingly quite filthy about this city.

I'm finding Thailand more interesting at the micro level that at the macro level. Which is to say, while overall I am underwhelmed, there are certain particular things that I've found quite remarkable.

One is not surprisingly, Thai massages. How on earth did it take me a full 28 years to discover this? Another is Thai food. I think that San Francisco has a paucity of good Thai restaurants, because my appreciation for Thai food has skyrocketed since I've been here. I am particularly fond of Thai chilis and now fascinated with increasing my tolerance for capcaisin.

My hunch is that the mountain villages of the northern parts of the country and charm of Chiang Mai would be much more my speed than this city. Next time.






No comments: