Friday, August 17, 2007

Yoga in Singapore


I can't seem to shake my lack of enthusiasm for this tiny country of just over 4M people. Sure, it is a fascinating case study for economic and social planning. Yes, it does have a very intersting integration of its Chinese, Indian, Malay, and Western expat communities, but.... it still has a familiarity and a homogeny, that just leaves me stoic. The places that have a strong impression on me have distinct sights, smells, sounds, tastes all their own. Singapore does not. Singapore has high rises, enormous shopping malls, and an abundance of familiar corporate logos. Not much to write home about.

I did however, find myself a home here these past few days in the local Ashtanga studio. Ironically the teacher failed to make an appearance on both days I managed to make the pre dawn trip across town. Still there was something unquestionably beautiful about walking into this shala half way around the world, unfurling my yoga mat, proceeding to move in near harmony with my fellow Ashtangis, and quietly exiting with barely a word exchanged. This yoga I've found simply does not require any.

I am looking forward to doing the same in each new city I visit henceforth. New York is next.

No comments: